Saturday, August 1, 2009

Voki Avatars

Hi all,
Well I never new I could have so much fun with a virtual person her name is Sam. My children even sent their cousin a koala- gram for his birthday using this application. Which was very user friendly considering they are only 8 years old. The Voki website is great and of course free, so it is a great place to start and learn about this E-tool. I realised you can only add a small amount of text to the application so I went searching for another application. I discovered Oddcast another E-tool application that is not free. I did sign up knowing that I would get 15 days free subscription and then I could cancel before I was charged the $20US per month. This particular one gives you alot more variety and you can add alot more text. This site is definately worth a look at www.oddcast.com .
Voki Avatars definatley have a place in educating digital natives (students) of today as promotes a sense of connecting with their virtual world. They can also add to the engagement of online learning for these students who are becoming more and more a networked student. Connectivism according to Siemens (2005) discusses how students of today are learning more through their network of other learners on line. These students are connected through online E-tools and can share information via these sites. Voki Avatars could be used in the virtual classroom site as the teacher or instructor to help facilitate the learning journey.
Bye for now

References
Siemens (2005) Connectivim: A Learning Theory for the Digital Age. Retrieved 2 August, 2009 from http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivism.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment